Beloved family-owned supermarket to close after 42 years – And here’s what is replacing it
Residents of Marcellus face the imminent closure of Nojaim Brothers Supermarket, a longstanding community staple and one of Onondaga County’s last remaining locally-owned grocery stores. The 42-year-old establishment, a fixture in the village since 1982, will cease operations in early April 2024.
Owner Richard Nojaim recently informed his staff of the difficult decision, impacting 14 full-time and 20 part-time employees. The closure marks the end of an era for the Nojaim family, whose supermarket tradition began in 1919 with Richard T. Nojaim on Syracuse’s West Side. Richard’s son, Paul, continued the legacy until the Syracuse store’s closure in 2017.
The Marcellus location’s fate has been sealed through a recent agreement with Stewart’s Shops, a regional convenience store chain headquartered in Saratoga Springs. Stewart’s has contracted to purchase the existing 12,000-square-foot property at 27 E. Main St., with plans to demolish the building and construct a 4,300-square-foot store equipped with gasoline pumps. While a 90-day withdrawal clause exists, Stewart’s representatives have already initiated discussions with local officials, including Mayor Jack Murphy and village board members.
The closure of Nojaim Brothers presents a significant challenge for Marcellus residents, particularly regarding access to fresh-cut meats and other daily necessities. The nearest remaining supermarkets, two Tops Friendly Markets in Camillus and Skaneateles, are both approximately 6.5 miles distant from downtown Marcellus.
For many, Nojaim Brothers has transcended merely a grocery store, evolving into a cornerstone of the community. Its closure undoubtedly leaves a void, one that the arrival of a smaller-format convenience store cannot fully replace. As the family legacy comes to an end, residents may reflect on the past while anticipating the changes to come for their village’s retail landscape.